- rivers cuomo
people asked me what have i been up to during the 3-month summer break. well, in between my busy schedule of doing nothing and watching tv, i managed to participate in a couple of chess tournaments and boy! was my chess a little rusty. i lost quite a big chunk of my games, including some to primary school kids. not the best feeling in the world to have after those incidents!
i believe that some chess in life is a good thing. it encourages us to do something that we often avoid, that is to use our heads. we often look for the easiest way out. but often in chess, the easiest way out is the fastest path to your king's doom. imo, chess will improve your awareness, patience, memory, decision-making, planning and even time management; the attributes that will benefit us certainly.that's me in action in the selangor allegro. should have won that game. check out the cool hair. that's also me but with shorter hair. that was at kyuem in lembah beringin. i won that game!
all pictures were taken without permission from gilachess
. btw, gilachess beat me fair and square in the kyuem tourney. (hehe.. must bodek la)useful links:chessbase
- the main source of international chess news on the webgilachess
- where else to get comprehensive info of our local chess scene?gilachess web log
- expect to find live coverage of malaysian chess tournaments here.the chess network
- malaysian chess federation official websitethe daily dirt chess blog
- insider news and views from chess writer mig greengardfide
- the world chess federationchesscorner
- learn to play chess!